Every driver in Maryland needs to know the Maryland car insurance laws. When shopping for car insurance it is a good idea to be well educated not only on your car insurance policy but also on the current state car insurance laws.
Maryland’s Car Insurance Tort System
Some states operate by a Tort system of law, like Maryland. Under a tort system, when a car accident occurs someone must be found at fault in the accident. The at-fault driver and their insurance company is then responsible for the damages resulting from the accident.
Maryland Car Insurance Minimum Requirements
One important Maryland auto insurance law is the state’s minimum auto insurance requirements. These minimum auto insurance requirements are the minimum amounts of auto insurance coverage that Maryland drivers must have.
The Maryland car insurance minimum requirements are as follows:
- $20,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $40,000 bodily injury liability per accident
- $15,000 property damage liability
- $2,500 personal injury protection (PIP)
- $20,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person
- $40,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage per accident
- $15,000 uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage
Maryland Auto Insurance Penalties
Certain penalties may be imposed by the Maryland motor vehicle administration office if a driver in Maryland is found to be driving without the proper insurance coverage.
If you are uninsured but still driving in MD you could face the following:
- Loss of license
- Uninsured motorists fees of $150 for the firsts 30 days and $7 a day each day after
- $25 vehicle registration restoration fee
If you provide false evidence of insurance information you could face 1 year of imprisonment or a fine of up to $1,000.
Find The MD Car Insurance Policy You Need Today!
Don’t get caught driving without the proper auto insurance in Maryland. Make sure your current auto insurance policy meets Maryland’s car insurance laws.
Use our free MD car insurance quote finder to help you find the Maryland car insurance policy that is right for you today!